Announcement

#1 2016-03-14 03:57:54

angelfire
Members
Website

Essay Help

Hullo everyone :3

I'll just get to the point,

I'm writing an essay for English on why social media is good to use. It's an argumentative essay so I need both sides of the argument included.
What I want from you guys is nothing too elaborate, but just the top three ideas you have on the pros of Social media and three ideas about the cons of social media. (Of course, three's just a random number, you can do more or less)

If you'd like to elaborate more on the ideas, you can but all I need is a main idea. I just want an idea of other's opinions while I do this.

If you decide to help, thanks SO so much <3

http://i.imgur.com/TYm0f7i.png
Twitter|Tumblr|Howrse|MCL|dA: angelfire2197          Wysp|YouTube|Elitedollz: angelfire
Art Portfolio: livininart.tumblr                                   Tumblr: askmyocsstuff

#2 2016-03-14 21:39:14

campanella
Members

Re: Essay Help

I'll help! ^^

Pros:
Social media helps people stay in touch, especially over long distances.
News always gets out faster than it would on the television or newspaper.

Cons:
Cyber-bullying
People are more likely to give out personal information to strangers, willingly or unknowingly

Also, not really sure where this would go for pro or con, but criminals who posted their crimes on social media in an attempt to 'brag' about it always get caught in the end because the police can trace it back to an IP or phone. Oh, there's another! In case of an emergency, police can trace IPs to a specific place.

https://40.media.tumblr.com/d2b6d67b60782d1b9b4ae8e73c19351a/tumblr_nz4skthchB1sfm9rso1_500.png

#3 2016-03-22 02:20:58

spiderwick9
Members

Well then I guess it's my duty as someone who stays up till three in the morning pondering these things to help.

PROS:
1) connecting with friends/family you haven't seen in a while/will be leaving for a while. When I moved, as someone who doesn't have money for a phone, I used facebook messages to talk to my best friend.
2) Helps you discover things you never knew about yourself. I found out about my orentation because on pinterest (not even embarrassed)
3) You can see people you previously cast judgment on in a whole new light. I'm a health junky, and I follow blogilates like the plauge, but I always thought she was really annoying, until I found her instagram, and now I'm practically in love with her.

CONS:
1) You can see people you thought you knew in a whole new light. There are a lot of people that I really liked, then when I followed them on social media, I figured out they were actually really rude. Sigh....
2) It takes time away from the friends and family your with right now.
3) It can damage your self esteem. Forget what people say about getting positive feedback on a selfie, getting no feedback on what you thought was an amazing picture can lock you in a dark place all day.

And there you go, what I fill my mind with.

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Kn2ynQkiWbg/Vwrll2jSJ8I/AAAAAAAACOM/jbC-otDqTLAPoCRfnzFIuYUHtk3Ovrkig/s1600/Crappy_Keeley_Signature.jpg

#4 2016-03-22 09:47:24

rheasilvia

No idea if you still need it but here I go.

PROS:
1. Helps you keep in touch with friends and family that live far away as well as connect with people that you've lost contact over time.
2. Allows you to make new friends especially ones that have similar interests and hobbies.
3. Allows people who are socially isolated (like shy or disabled people) to connect to society.
4. Helps with organizing all kind of social movements (many instances of protests being organized that way all around the world) as well as spread information about social problems (for example the #OscarcsSoWhite hashtag and many others).
5. Helps with finding people and resources in difficult times, like there were long lost family members that found each other thanks to social media or there were people who needed financial or other kind of help and were able to obtain it thanks to social media users spreading the information.
6. Offers a way for freelancers and self-employed people (like artists, musicians and small businesses) to build their client base.
7. Helps big businesses and corportaions to stay in touch with their customers needs and offer instant feedback. Makes them more human.
8. News spread faster and on a bigger scale.

CONS:
1. Bullying and harassment.
2. Lack of privacy and vulnerability to security attacks, caused either by users ignorance or lack of security measures implemented by the social media website as well as sometimes sketchy advertisement practices.
3. Allows people to spread hate (like all the hate groups on Facebook).
4. Misinformation.

https://orig00.deviantart.net/e288/f/2018/049/a/b/adtime_banner_by_frogmakesart-dc3jjzb.png

#5 2016-03-22 12:15:18

angelfire
Members
Website

Oh gosh, I have so much to work with! Thank you dear! All of these are brilliant and a lot of them I've thiught of but even so each post has a few things tht I wouldnt have thought up on my own ^^

http://i.imgur.com/TYm0f7i.png
Twitter|Tumblr|Howrse|MCL|dA: angelfire2197          Wysp|YouTube|Elitedollz: angelfire
Art Portfolio: livininart.tumblr                                   Tumblr: askmyocsstuff

Board footer