You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2013-12-11 18:34:05

jadefarnill
Members

What are you reading?

I'm just wondering what kind of books people are reading at the moment.

I'm reading the third book from the DIvergent series: Allegiant. Really enjoying the series at the minute

#2 2013-12-11 18:42:47

snortmort
Members

Re: What are you reading?

I need to get my hands on that series at some point. Haven't been doing a lot of reading lately. Before Benjamin was born, I read a lot of classics and heavier reading, but now I only have time for lighters stuff generally. I just started a book called The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot.
Quote from the author's website on what it's about:

"Her name was Henrietta Lacks, but scientists know her as HeLa. She was a poor black tobacco farmer whose cells—taken without her knowledge in 1951—became one of the most important tools in medicine, vital for developing the polio vaccine, cloning, gene mapping, in vitro fertilization, and more. Henrietta’s cells have been bought and sold by the billions, yet she remains virtually unknown, and her family can’t afford health insurance."

It's going to be made into a movie at some point. Very interesting and thought-provoking true story. Crazy that it actually happened and her cells are still being used by scientists today!

Last edited by snortmort (2013-12-11 18:43:04)

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a399/snortmort/storybooklove.jpg

#3 2013-12-11 20:04:58

Ancien joueur keiramarina
Guests

At the moment I'm reading Dracula (Bram Stoker) and I just finished To Kill A Mockingbird (Harper Lee) which I absolutely loved :) It was one of the best books I've ever read.

That sounds really cool, Snortmort! I'll have to find it at some point.

I read the first book of the Divergent series but I liked where it ended so I stopped there. Have you seen the movie trailer?

#4 2013-12-11 21:43:42

rarity
the undying
Website

The Fault in our Stars.

http://i66.tinypic.com/1zegnro.jpg
          * The wind is howling...

TUMBLR: reynir|            INSTA fierce.scarlet

#5 2013-12-11 22:09:37

angelfire
Members
Website

My book list is like my anime list...I start and I stop and then start a new one then go back to the one before. And I have like 50 series in my list to read. But right now the books I'm reading are

-The Apothecary
-The Shining
-Nevermore (From the Maximum Ride series)
-The Disenchantments
-A Tale Dark and Grimm

http://i.imgur.com/TYm0f7i.png
Twitter|Tumblr|Howrse|MCL|dA: angelfire2197          Wysp|YouTube|Elitedollz: angelfire
Art Portfolio: livininart.tumblr                                   Tumblr: askmyocsstuff

#6 2013-12-11 22:33:16

jadefarnill
Members

Snortmort: That actually sounds really interesting, may give it a go at some point. For class we're reading I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou. It's all about racism in the 1930s but its an autobiography. It's really interesting to see what it was like back then. The only problem is I haven't enjoyed it as much because we're studying it at school.

Keira: I'm think of reading To Kill A Mockingbird but not sure... I can't just stop reading a series at one book when I know there are more. I wouldn't be able to survive without finishing the series. Four is what keeps me sane haha. I saw the DIvergent trailer once when I saw Catching Fire but that was before reading it so I wasn't paying much attention. Now I'm not letting myself watch it because when I read it their faces will be what I think of.

Rarity: You are my hero. I love you already for reading The Fault in Our Stars. Have you read any other John Green books? Looking for Alaska is a good one if you want to read more.

Angel: Woah now that's a list. I have one or two but I usually go for the one that intrests me most at the time first.

Last edited by jadefarnill (2013-12-12 17:25:18)

#7 2013-12-12 02:02:38

snortmort
Members

Jade: To Kill a Mockingbird is a verrrrrrrrrrrrrry different book than what you're thinking of - Mockingjay! :) lol I had to parse through your post for a few times before I realized that you were thinking of the final book of The Hunger Games and not the fantastic Harper Lee book from 1960.

To Kill a Mockingbird is about racism (this seems to be a theme here in our book lists!) and an African-American man who is brought to trial and everyone assumes he's guilty because he's not white. A white lawyer takes on his case, flying in the face of conventions of the time. It's a really excellent book, about standing up for people even when it's not popular, and trying to see life from other peoples' perspectives before passing judgements on them. We had to study it in highschool, so I didn't like it back then, but when I read it again after highschool, I really enjoyed it. It's a classic.

(though I must say - the Hunger Games series is also worth a read - and it's a VERY quick read!)

#8 2013-12-12 05:28:36

ilovem12
Members
Website

Just finished the divergent series, and now im on the Teardrop book its pretty good so far.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Ml-IWPGl0sM/Uf_XT01vzbI/AAAAAAAAAt0/jMEyFVGzBzc/w400-h200-no/wallpaper30-1024x768.jpg
"I'm pure at heart, it repels the dirt" - Mortal Instruments
My photography:http://us.ohmydollz.com/board/viewtopic … 33&p=1

#9 2013-12-12 06:40:31

malu
Members

I'm reading Mockingjay. :D I haven't read the first book of Hunger Games but I read the second and quite enjoyed it. Soo I started reading Mockingjay a long while back and I can't seem  to finish it. :/ I feel as if Suzanne Collins rushed it a bit.

And I'm thinking of reading a book called Starters by Lissa Price. I know it's interesting since I read a few pages of it, here's a summery

Callie lost her parents when the Spore Wars wiped out everyone between the ages of twenty and sixty. She and her little brother, Tyler, go on the run, living as squatters with their friend Michael and fighting off renegades who would kill them for a cookie. Callie’s only hope is Prime Destinations, a disturbing place in Beverly Hills run by a mysterious figure known as the Old Man.
He hires teens to rent their bodies to Enders—seniors who want to be young again. Callie, desperate for the money that will keep her, Tyler, and Michael alive, agrees to be a donor. But the neurochip they place in Callie’s head malfunctions and she wakes up in the life of her renter, living in her mansion, driving her cars, and going out with a senator’s grandson. It feels almost like a fairy tale, until Callie discovers that her renter intends to do more than party—and that Prime Destinations’ plans are more evil than Callie could ever have imagined. . .

Last edited by malu (2013-12-12 06:40:45)

Snapchat: amalmooon
Insta: mal.mooon

#10 2013-12-12 15:40:18

snortmort
Members

Just wondering, Malu, why you would choose to start not with the first book in a series like that? You miss so much from what happens earlier in the first books. I'd recommend you start with The Hunger Games and read them in order - you might enjoy them more then?

#11 2013-12-12 17:24:06

jadefarnill
Members

Snortmort - No I knew what you meant by To KIll a Mockingbird, I've actually already read all of the Hunger Games series. mdr But my English teacher told us to read it as it's similar to what we're reading now. When I mentioned the trailer afterwards I meant the Divergent series. Sorry for the confusion haha.

Malu: I've read Starters, never got around to reading the second one though... Also did you not read the first Hunger Games because you saw the movie?

#12 2014-01-12 20:45:45

just-nina
Members

Un jeu interdit L.J Smith
>> A forbidden Game L.J Smith.

SHInee & Kyary Pamyu Pamyu ♥

#13 2014-01-13 23:09:58

icefoxes
Members

I'm currently reading Great Expectations by Charles Dickens, it's a good book, but if you don't like unhappy endings, don't read it. I'm almost done but I'm pretty sure the ending will be unhappy.

#14 2014-01-27 00:06:22

subway1
Members

I'm currently reading Wings of Fire: The Hidden Kingdom by Tui T. Sutherland. It's a really good book if you're into dragons and war and stuff like that. It's actually a book series called Wings of Fire. There are five books so far, and it's very interesting. I seriously recommend this series!

The Mauraders were alive that night, all four of them, you know, but it wasn't the same; only three were true and one was gone, and the one that was gone shouldn't have been. But they were together, again, and in that moment, they knew, they would never say goodbye.

#15 2014-01-27 00:11:55

rarity
the undying
Website

Catching up on the Fairy Tail manga which I have not read in months...

http://i66.tinypic.com/1zegnro.jpg
          * The wind is howling...

TUMBLR: reynir|            INSTA fierce.scarlet

#16 2014-07-20 16:47:27

malu
Members

Trying to read more to improve my English. It's weakening since I've been speaking more in my native language.
I just finished reading Jodi Piccoult's Vanishing acts. It's so interesting! I couldn't put it down all day!
Here what it says in the cover ;
"Your father is arrested for kidnapping. Your the child he took. What would you do?"

I'm gonna started her book Mercy now.
On the cover it says ;
"The love of your life asks your help to die. What would you do?"

Both of these books have a lot law in them and I quite like her style at writing and the start is a bit boring but at the end you can't put the book down. Did you know she wrote the book My Sister's Keeper which was made into a movie? Saddest. Movie. Ever.

snortmort wrote:

Just wondering, Malu, why you would choose to start not with the first book in a series like that? You miss so much from what happens earlier in the first books. I'd recommend you start with The Hunger Games and read them in order - you might enjoy them more then?

Actually Amary (my cousin) read Hunger Games online so she bought the Mockingjay book and I got bored so I started reading it as well. After I read it I didn't feel like reading Hunger Games again cause the book did say most of what had happened in the first one also I watched the movies. :D

#17 2014-07-20 19:06:43

subway1
Members

Gold Medal Summer by Donna Freitas, let me tell you it is super boring. It's about this gymnast named Joey Jordan (Her real name is Johanna but everyone calls her Joey) who likes this guy named Tanner and has trouble in vaulting and flips and stuff and her best friend Alex is thinking of quitting gymnastics even though she always gets gold and she's really good. About to read the Matched series by Ally Condie. My friend recommended it, it looks super good!

Also I'm looking for a book series which is set like in a diary format. Kind of like Dork Diaries. I love it so much but I'm, looking to see if there are other series like that, like a journal or diary of some sort. I like Diary Of A Wimpy Kid and Big Nate is alright but I'm looking for a diary from a girls' point of view, you know ? (I've already read This Journal Belongs To Rachet" and I love it, so something like that would be great.) Do you have any ideas ?

The Mauraders were alive that night, all four of them, you know, but it wasn't the same; only three were true and one was gone, and the one that was gone shouldn't have been. But they were together, again, and in that moment, they knew, they would never say goodbye.

#18 2014-07-20 19:43:50

malu
Members

Subway, Hmm.. Mary-Kate and Ashly?
And not sure if it's exactly in Diary format but the Mediator Series by Meg Cabot is awesome.

#19 2014-07-20 19:44:17

neriah10
Members
Website

Reading Eleanor & Park AND Ella Enchanted.
(I procrastinated, so now it's starting to pile up for book club, and I seriously need to catch up.)
Eleanor & Park is a sort of punk-rock love story. And I'm pretty sure most people know, but Ella Enchanted is about a girl who is cursed with obedience. Both really good, even though I know I'm gonna cry at the end of Ellie & Park, because they practically tell you right away that something goes wrong.

@Subway: Don't know about diary format books, because those are all the ones I know too, but the female perspective is hard to find in that genre. The Perks of Being a Wallflower is told in the form of letters, and I feel like the Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks, or The Diary of Anne Frank would work too? Kind of like diary books...

Last edited by neriah10 (2014-07-20 19:45:33)

http://oi65.tinypic.com/mw8b4g.jpg
w a t t p a d~@-haikutae [Poetry; Books]        t u m b l r~ @wooshishi [Edits]
l i n e~@taeskimchi                    <-Chat->                   k a k a o~ @taeskimchi

#20 2014-07-20 19:49:00

subway1
Members

@Neriah Thanks! I will definitely check those out when I have time. I've already read the diary of Anne Frank, and I loved it despite the horrible ending. I have heard of Perks Of Being A Wallflower but I wasn't sure if it was really that good... Hmm... I'll have to get to reading that sometime... Thank you! :)

(Also Neriah, I was thinking of starting Eleanor & Park, but then I saw Fangirl by the same author, so I was totally conflicted. Thoughts ?)

Last edited by subway1 (2014-07-20 19:50:46)

#21 2014-07-21 00:26:30

neriah10
Members
Website

@Subway:
I Have not read Fangirl yet. But I understand being conflicted. Only reason I made up my mind was because I found it at the library. But I REALLY wanted to read Fangirl first. Not to say that Ellie and Park isn't a great book, just that the order of operations is not what I wanted.
That probably doesn't help your conflicted feelings...

http://oi65.tinypic.com/mw8b4g.jpg
w a t t p a d~@-haikutae [Poetry; Books]        t u m b l r~ @wooshishi [Edits]
l i n e~@taeskimchi                    <-Chat->                   k a k a o~ @taeskimchi

#22 2014-07-21 20:47:45

felagund
Members

Oh, I know Ella enchanted as a movie (Which I loved by the way) but I didn't know there was a book.

I am reading the third book of the "inkheart"trilogy by Cornelia Funke, which is interesting but not the best book I've read

#23 2014-07-29 19:45:33

subway1
Members

@Felagund That's interesting! I want to read that series but I'm not sure if I'd like it...

@Neriah Yeah it's ok! Haha! Like now I'm reading Matched, a dystopian futuristic sci-fi romance novel. It's amazing. Like you need to read it, it's really one of the best books I've read! Totally want to start Game of Thrones too... :)

#24 2014-08-06 01:11:43

zen0n
Members

I guess I'm reading Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five? I'm a real slow reader and get distracted, I've been at this book for that past three months! Not that it's bad, I love it, I just have a hard time finding the time to read >.<

snortmort wrote:

I just started a book called The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot.
Quote from the author's website on what it's about:

"Her name was Henrietta Lacks, but scientists know her as HeLa. She was a poor black tobacco farmer whose cells—taken without her knowledge in 1951—became one of the most important tools in medicine, vital for developing the polio vaccine, cloning, gene mapping, in vitro fertilization, and more. Henrietta’s cells have been bought and sold by the billions, yet she remains virtually unknown, and her family can’t afford health insurance."

It's going to be made into a movie at some point. Very interesting and thought-provoking true story. Crazy that it actually happened and her cells are still being used by scientists today!

Whhaaaatttt??! Putting on my to-read list now!

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧*:・゚*:・゚✧

#25 2014-08-08 05:59:34

shiva
Members
Website

I'm not reading it now, but I just recently finished Fahrenheit 451, and I loved it!
Yeah, it's a bit old, but it's great! I loved the way that it was made so that the future, while it is flawed, is not dystopian. And the way the main character is written is incredible! If you haven't read it already you definitely should because it is great.

(yeah i know you have to read it in some high schools, but it's one of the few good books you read in school)

tumblr: sirpepperston

Board footer