You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2014-06-16 16:45:56

xemoxrockerx
Members
Website

Gender and Stuff aka. Help with my Assignment?

Okay, so I have to do this 10 minute monologue as an assignment and the topic is
****GENDER****

And I just wanted to hear your thoughts on the typical Male-Female thing.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-DUQ5qc0D02A/VFrBeTyyrxI/AAAAAAAACG8/_w5ujDpgwR4/s1600/Emorocker1-sig-01.png
|Older Art. Updated: 10/17/14| Instagram : p2ionics |
| Twitter : psionic_nerd | Tumblr Writing Blog : under-latest-nostalgia |
Thanks for the ava/sig shadowchild03!

#2 2014-06-16 23:25:46

harajukukiki
Members

Re: Gender and Stuff aka. Help with my Assignment?

Are you talking about gender or gender roles, or both? I think discussing gender is a bit of a controversial topic for this website. There's a lot of conflicting opinions about what people believe about gender and whatnot, and the arguments can get pretty ugly.

Anyway, I'll tell you my thoughts.

I believe gender is whatever people want to identify with and how they feel (female, male, gender-fluid, non binary, etc) while the person's sex is their biological gender. I don't really believe there are just two genders physically and psychologically. Not only do some people not identify with either male or female, there are people who are born intersex or with xxx, xxy, and other chromosomes that don't make sex just female or male.

As for gender roles, I don't really care. People should be able to do what they like regardless if it fits gender roles or not. If a girl likes to play with make up and wear pink, it's fine. If a guy likes to play with make up and wear pink, that's also fine.

Last edited by harajukukiki (2014-06-16 23:31:44)

http://i39.tinypic.com/33otxz9.png

#3 2014-06-17 05:25:54

angelfire
Members
Website

Gender. Humm.
Well I believe everyone is male and female. It makes life just so much easier. However, what I don't believe in is that everything needs to be gender specific. If that makes sense.
I mean let's say you're a Male and you like wearing nail polish and dresses and having your hair up fancy. I think a boy can do all that sort of thing and be okay with it.
At the same time, let's say you're a Female and you hate all those girly type of things. That's okay to hate them and still be a girl.

Changing gender just makes things more complicated in my opinion. Some people would get offended and the offender may not even know or may not have thought they were doing so.

And then comes pronouns and that gets even more difficult to keep up with. Why can't everyone be happy the way they are and embrace what they like openly and lovingly. Just because a boy likes dresses doesn't make him a girl and just because a girl strongly despises dress doesn't make her a boy.

I do have a trans friend and they're very close to me. Just a side note if anyone thinks thinks this is strongly biased.

http://i.imgur.com/TYm0f7i.png
Twitter|Tumblr|Howrse|MCL|dA: angelfire2197          Wysp|YouTube|Elitedollz: angelfire
Art Portfolio: livininart.tumblr                                   Tumblr: askmyocsstuff

#4 2014-06-17 12:44:23

xemoxrockerx
Members
Website

Thanks for replying ^u^

I think our topic is more on Gender roles; like how males == more aggressive or females == soft-spoken.

It's kinda dumb how people have these dumb roles given to them bc they were born with different parts so I'll probably use that in the monologue.

Different opinions inspire me to write more and also contain info I might not know/have forgotten so that's why I'm asking for your opinions :D

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-DUQ5qc0D02A/VFrBeTyyrxI/AAAAAAAACG8/_w5ujDpgwR4/s1600/Emorocker1-sig-01.png
|Older Art. Updated: 10/17/14| Instagram : p2ionics |
| Twitter : psionic_nerd | Tumblr Writing Blog : under-latest-nostalgia |
Thanks for the ava/sig shadowchild03!

#5 2014-06-17 14:43:45

darkelfqueen
The Mod Squad

And wait till you get to work. I laugh inwardly every time I'm interviewing or meeting an engineer and surprise them just a little by how much I know about the gaming industry. Females apparently aren't supposed to know this much, which by the way is far from true. Almost all of the females I know are gamers!

Females are always steered away from engineering and science as kids. If you pay attention, you'll notice that most little girls are advised to not get dirty and to play nearby and so on, while boys are encouraged to explore. I think that kinda sucks and should change.

Now as you said, this is stupid and I'm seeing these slowly change.

One thing that I did notice is somewhat true (even though it doesn't exactly the norm for everyone. I've seen many exceptions). Ladies are a bit more organized. In all teams I've ended up in, that was true. In all positions I've ended up working in, it seems to be true. Again, I find it stupid that we classify people like that, but...well...maybe we do have some differences. And maybe not all of us will stick to them anyways :P

#6 2014-06-17 16:21:22

angelfire
Members
Website

Oh well then. I still stand by what I said. If a boy wants to do girly things, let him. and if a girl wants to do guyish things, let her.

I live in a house where these things are looked down upon, but I go to school where it's thriving and everyone even the teachers all encourage the students to embrace what they want to. Most of my friends are people who do the opposite of what they're expected to do.

I think gender roles are absurd and people need to plan their own lives.

http://i.imgur.com/TYm0f7i.png
Twitter|Tumblr|Howrse|MCL|dA: angelfire2197          Wysp|YouTube|Elitedollz: angelfire
Art Portfolio: livininart.tumblr                                   Tumblr: askmyocsstuff

Board footer