You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2014-07-07 12:53:06

darkelfqueen
The Mod Squad

Aftermath and realizations about anxiety

A couple months back, I posted a topic about my panic attacks and possible anxiety. It was kinda a wake-up call for me. About five years back I went into a severe depression after a shock that lasted for about two years. And a few months into it, I had started briefly sleep-walking and night terrors. That made sense and even though my depression was over, these continued with me later on.

For the last month or so, panic attacks have subsided. I've started taking control of them and my sleep. My dreams are still absolutely weird, but they've always been this case ever since I was a kid. Not particularly scary but ... weird and creepy in general.

The reason I'm writing now however is that I discovered something really weird. You see ... about a year and a half back and after a terrible commute on the way to college, I started waking up with severe pain in knee. It was so bad I hated getting up in the mornings. I thought it was just the weird exercises and physical strain on it. Two months later and the other knee started doing the same thing and they were not going away. Of course I started getting worried.

For the last year I wasn't able to find out what's wrong with them. Nothing was found in them and they came and went for no apparent reason. Until recently that is. Turned out they were related to my anxiety. Can you believe that? Apparently I have a very bad habit of curling into a ball while sleeping and I would tense my whole body all night. I was hurting the nerves of my knees all night!!!

To be honest, that never crossed my mind as a possibility earlier. Can you believe that?!

I'm still working on my anxiety and nowadays due to stress at work, it's kinda difficult, but I'm definitely better than before. I don't have emotional breakdowns this often (although I did tear up briefly yesterday a couple times in the last month -- not much, just a few silent tears and then everything's back to normal), but to find out that a physical symptom was related was kinda mind-blowing.

Last edited by darkelfqueen (2014-07-07 12:54:55)

#2 2014-07-07 14:07:47

rukia131
Members

Re: Aftermath and realizations about anxiety

I must confess I used to have problems with sleep paralysis and some kind of creepy lucid dreams even for entire nights . Those are really strange it even happened once that I was having a nightmare and I realized it so I tried to wake up ... I tried very hard and I was sure that I was awake but after all I was still dreaming and it was so freaking scary . Anyways with time I found some tricks to avoid nightmares (they sill appear from time to time but rarely ) ... first of all it's better if you don't sleep on your back ... I always feel more secure when I sleep facing the walls ... also it's good of you sleep with someone or while holding something (like a stuffed toy or a pillow ) ... I have  a red dog that I sleep with when sleeping and if I lose him I immediately wake up . I don't have those kind of dreams anymore and when I do there is only one that keeps repeating .

Back to the point yeah it's super strange what happened to you like ... can you control that ...sleep curling now ?

#3 2014-07-07 14:56:48

rheasilvia

That's interesting. We don't even realize how much our mental health is connected to our physical health. I think that even doctors don't always see the connection and so we are often treated for the symptoms instead od the actual cause.

Anyway, I'm glad to read that you're better now and I hope that things will stay this way for you. All the best to you!

Last edited by rheasilvia (2014-07-07 14:58:26)

https://orig00.deviantart.net/e288/f/2018/049/a/b/adtime_banner_by_frogmakesart-dc3jjzb.png

#4 2014-07-07 20:35:37

darkelfqueen
The Mod Squad

@rukia: I have to hug a pillow to fall asleep or I don't at all!!! I thought I was the only one :D

@rhea: Yeah I started studying this more. It's really interesting. Can you imagine the number of things we might think coming from illnesses that could be actually from things like this.

Let me share something. It was too....weird and amazing that I was speechless! It simply proved how little we understood about how our emotions, body and brain work.

Paul Pearsall, a neuropsychologist, wrote about this interesting topic in his book, The Heart's Code: Tapping the Wisdom and Power of Our Heart Energy. In it, he provides insight into his belief that the physical heart contains within it memories belonging to its person. Part of Pearsall's research for the book included tracking several real life cases of heart transplant recipients who mysteriously inherited some of their donors' traits.

In one case, a Spanish-speaking man began using words that he had not used prior to his transplant. He received his heart from a man named David who had died in a car accident. David's wife, Glenda, when meeting the recipient of her husband's heart for the first time, used the word "copacetic" to describe the situation. The recipient's mother quickly replied that her son had begun using that word for the first time and that it did not even have a Spanish equivalent, indicating that he had adopted the word from David.

The recipient's son, who had before been a vegetarian, began craving meat and greasy food after his transplant. His music preferences also changed from favoring heavy metal to preferring fifties rock 'n' roll. All of these preferences turned out to be David's preferences as well.

In another case, an 8-year-old girl who had received a heart transplant from a 10-year-old girl that had been murdered, began to have nightmares about the donor's murderer. After several consultations with a psychiatrist, it was decided that the police should be notified. The 8-year-old recipient was able to identify key clues about the murder, including who the murderer was, when and how it happened, and even the words spoken by the murderer to the victim. Amazingly, the entire testimony turned out to be true and the murderer was convicted for his crime.

Last edited by darkelfqueen (2014-07-07 20:36:19)

#5 2014-07-07 22:20:46

rukia131
Members

Wow Darky when I was like 10 I saw a horror documentary about that .I don't know why they make those things it's really scary it's like oh this thing happened so we make a horror after it and we tell you it's real .
I didn't understand anything because I was little but my dad explained it to me afterwards . Anyways it was about this kid that was killed by his mother and his ... something was donated to another kid that felt the urge to kill his mom because he felt the need to take revenge .... I think ... I don't remember well ... after that I never watched a horror again anyways ... and I don't think I will .

#6 2014-07-08 13:26:27

xemoxrockerx
Members
Website

Wow. Intense. :|

As for physical stress/anxiety signs, I grind my teeth in my sleep and flail like crazy. It usually leads to me waking up with a sore jaw that I can barely open because my subconscious is still making me grind my teeth.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-DUQ5qc0D02A/VFrBeTyyrxI/AAAAAAAACG8/_w5ujDpgwR4/s1600/Emorocker1-sig-01.png
|Older Art. Updated: 10/17/14| Instagram : p2ionics |
| Twitter : psionic_nerd | Tumblr Writing Blog : under-latest-nostalgia |
Thanks for the ava/sig shadowchild03!

#7 2014-07-09 14:51:42

rheasilvia

Wow, that's actually pretty creepy.

For me stress or anxiety usually causes severe headaches or/and digestive problems.
But I often grind my teeth or tense up my muscles unconsciously when I'm focusing on something very intensely (while drawing for example). It's really unpleasant and makes me sore. I even got cramps once when I was furiously drawing at school XD

https://orig00.deviantart.net/e288/f/2018/049/a/b/adtime_banner_by_frogmakesart-dc3jjzb.png

Board footer