You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2015-09-28 04:22:02

lady0filia
Queen of the Supernatural
Website

House Work

I know what you're thinking. "House work? What is this horrid-sounding thing called 'house work'?"

But tis true I need some advice in how any of you clean the house. I had set up a schedule to clean certain rooms on certain days, and it seemed to work - for the first week that is. Once I went full circle and went to dusting Monday's room, all the dusting I had done the previous week was back!!

You see, my family's house is, dare I say it, a pigsty of dust and cobwebs. It might as well be a haunted house, abandoned and forgotten - and I'm the Cinderella who has to clean it all up. I had thought - and hoped - that if I could do a little of dusting and vacuuming everyday the house would soon be sparkling clean, but all the dirt and dust I cleaned up reappeared like a ghost from the past. It was soon evident that the task would be a never ending circle of cleaning and never getting anywhere with it.

Is there some smarter way of going about getting all that dust clean and finally giving my poor sinuses a rest? Speak up, don't be shy.

It has gotten cold, brr~ Happy Holidays to you and yours!https://us.ohmydollz.com/img/big/936.png

#2 2015-09-28 07:37:34

laurabow
Members

Re: House Work

lady0filia wrote:

It was soon evident that the task would be a never ending circle of cleaning and never getting anywhere with it.

It's never done, no matter how much you do!  non

Hopefully, when you went back to the first room again, the amount of dust was less, but sadly, it will always come back.  I mean, unless you cover everything in plastic, but the plastic would still get dusty.

In all seriousness, though, what are you using for dusting?  Maybe there's a better product/option to use.

If the dust is getting up your nose, it might be helpful to keep a window open, or a fan blowing it away from you.  (Might have to dust the fan blades first, preferably while it's turned off.)  Heck, if you don't have a problem with covering your mouth and nose with a scarf or mask of some sort, that would help a bit, too.

#3 2015-09-28 10:50:42

rheasilvia

lady0filia wrote:

It was soon evident that the task would be a never ending circle of cleaning and never getting anywhere with it.

I think you've just written a definition of dusting :)

There are some products that are supposed to prevent the dust from settling although I'm not really sure how effective they are. I mean, the dust will be back but maybe not so fast.

Personally I'm a huge lazy bum so I actually clean my room when I notice the dust is getting really thick and otherwise I just dust random shelves while vacuuming once a week. I don't care.

https://orig00.deviantart.net/e288/f/2018/049/a/b/adtime_banner_by_frogmakesart-dc3jjzb.png

#4 2015-09-29 04:04:12

dolly
Members

#5 2015-09-29 04:34:19

angelfire
Members
Website

There's this tumblr page that I could send to you that helps you clean. It gives you tasks to do so that you can make it easier for yourself to clean. I haven't done any of it yet on account of us moving but maybe it could help you. I'd post the name here but it does have a curse word in it.

I could send you the link if you'd like :3

http://i.imgur.com/TYm0f7i.png
Twitter|Tumblr|Howrse|MCL|dA: angelfire2197          Wysp|YouTube|Elitedollz: angelfire
Art Portfolio: livininart.tumblr                                   Tumblr: askmyocsstuff

#6 2015-09-29 15:34:31

lady0filia
Website

Oh dear, a curse word? I hate those. Although I can probably handle all except for the dreaded 'F', it's entirely too vulgar, needless, and I have no tolerance to it. The 'D' word I can handle the best, because it just sounds like something beavers made.

I'm actually glad to know that dusting is such a terrible chore, simply because it means I wasn't doing it wrong. pleur I use the brand Swifter, the small ones that claim to attract dust like a magnet. Ha! Such liars. The other day I decided to wipe some electronics in my parents' room and a dust cloud immediately followed. Not only that, the dust in my house is so thick in places that one single swipe renders the thing useless. I do wear a mask when I dust And I have opened the window, when I vacuum, because the brainless machine seems to produce more dust than the dirt it cleans.

I honestly wouldn't care about the dust if I didn't think it was affecting my health. And, well, I am getting tired of living in a messy house. I see pictures of made-up rooms in catalogs and magazines and wish our house could be that clean and uncluttered. Sigh~

Last edited by lady0filia (2015-09-29 15:38:44)

It has gotten cold, brr~ Happy Holidays to you and yours!https://us.ohmydollz.com/img/big/936.png

#7 2015-10-05 06:30:32

laurabow
Members

lady0filia wrote:

And I have opened the window, when I vacuum, because the brainless machine seems to produce more dust than the dirt it cleans.

This may seem like a silly question, but have you checked the vacuum itself?  Does the dust bag/dust trap need to be emptied and/or the filter replaced?

#8 2015-10-05 07:22:26

lady0filia
Website

I'm pretty sure the filter probably does need to be cleaned or replaced, but the vacuum belongs to my brother so there's not much I can do there. I have told him about it, and all he says is "It does that (shoots out dust)."   So...*shrugs*  (The vacuum is a bag-less one, which I empty after every use - don't want my brother bugging me about being lazy and all, grr~ to him.)

#9 2015-10-05 17:25:07

snortmort
Members

With bagless vaccuums, you can usually just pull the filters out and wash them. That's what I have, and you just have to wash them once a month or so. Make sure you let it dry ALL THE WAY before you use it again though. (as in let it dry somewhere warm/sunny for at least a full day)

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a399/snortmort/storybooklove.jpg

#10 2015-10-06 05:54:19

lady0filia
Website

Ooh, I didn't think of that. I'll try to do that tomorrow; it's still pretty warm where I live, I can let it sit in the sun all day.

Board footer