You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2019-08-31 04:49:50

mlle-green
Members
Website

UK Post Office

Hello there ^^

Well, I wonder about the post office in London. In France, when we're not at home, we have choice, we can ask to the post office to not give our parcels to the neighbors (who can steal them) and they put a notice in the letter box. We have two weeks to pick up the parcel at the post office (with the notice), after this period, the parcel is returned to the sender.

I heard that in some neighborhoods at London, parcels are given to neighbors in case of absence, and there is no way to change that... is it true ? :7_parapluie:

https://orig12.deviantart.net/6f9a/f/2017/239/9/3/userbar_chats_maincoon_by_tchat_irc_omd-dbli8m1.png

#2 2019-08-31 05:31:00

darkjewels
Members

Re: UK Post Office

hello there :D
i would like to apologize in advance if the replpy sounds rude, because being rude is not my intention x_X
(i'm just a bit shocked)

I heard that in some neighborhoods at London, parcels are given to neighbors in case of absence, and there is no way to change that... is it true ?

i doubt it could possibly be true because why on earth would anybody in their right mind have the post office service deliver things to ANYONE who is NOT the specified target? that sounds realy unprofessional (not to mention dangerous).

as far as i know, if a delivery doesn't meet its intended reciever, it stays in the office for a while and is then sent back to the sender with a notification that the other person wasn't found.
if london (or anywhere in the world really) is any different, this is a good reason to NOT trust their post office services.

In France, when we're not at home, we have choice, we can ask to the post office to not give our parcels to the neighbors (who can steal them) and they put a notice in the letter box. We have two weeks to pick up the parcel at the post office (with the notice), after this period, the parcel is returned to the sender.

are you saying that in france, having the parcel delivered to a neighbor is the default behavior and not an option that needs to be actively requested? is that true? because that sounds wrong in so many levels.
if you are not the delivery's target, the packet/parcel/whatever else should NEVER be given to you unless the sender and/or reciever explicitly requested ortherwise.

░▒▓█Anonymous Random Procrastinatos, UNITE... some day.
---

#3 2019-08-31 10:50:56

laurelinelarose
Members

I think it depends if you live in a big city or a small town. Where I live, in France, there are only around 800 inhabitants, so the postman knows every family and who gets along with who.
It is not unusual to get parcels for our neighbours, but if you don't trust your neighbours, the postman will know and leave a notice :)

Last edited by laurelinelarose (2019-08-31 10:54:42)

#4 2019-09-01 01:49:28

mlle-green
Members
Website

Darkjewels, I agree with everything that you say.

are you saying that in france, having the parcel delivered to a neighbor is the default behavior and not an option that needs to be actively requested? is that true?

Yes, since I ask my post office to never give my parcels, but and even now, sometimes for a big parcel (bed, fridge...) I inform the delivery (never the same person) to wait to see my identity card, because he always give my parcel to anybody's waiting outside of his appartment. Since a few years we can claim on the website of the post office when it arrived.

An acquaintance moved to London to work. And all her parcels are given to the neighbor (who never warns her about) and she waits for weeks for parcels already delivered... The Post says it's like that and they do not do it differently. It's weird...

Big city Laureline ^^

Last edited by mlle-green (2019-09-01 01:50:34)

https://orig12.deviantart.net/6f9a/f/2017/239/9/3/userbar_chats_maincoon_by_tchat_irc_omd-dbli8m1.png

#5 2019-09-01 06:12:51

darkjewels
Members

@laurelinelarose: in this specific case it seems ok.

@mlle-green: i would ask a lawyer if i can sue the post office (or at least the worker) for doing a bad job or violating consumer rights in this case, because seriously, this kind of thing should be illegal.

the post office agents here always check the adress, request to see your ID card and to sign to confirm who recieved the delivery.

░▒▓█Anonymous Random Procrastinatos, UNITE... some day.
---

#6 2019-09-03 03:35:55

mlle-green
Members
Website

Now that you confirm that it's abnormal even in the UK, I'll tell him to make a claim letter. Thank you :5_content:

Board footer