You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2012-01-17 16:28:39

darkjewels
Members

something annoying about OMD forum (READ before replying)

i'm 99% sure this is the right place to post it, as long as it has to do with THIS forum where we are currently posting.
(if you find it too long, skip the quote boxes)

something i find realy annoying about this forum(and also the reason i put the word "READ" in most of my thread tittles) is the fact that there are people here who don't read what the poster wrote before posting a reply to the thread.

like the other day, when someone was asking for hints of what to do because she had a crush for a boy she knew in real life, and at least 3 people replyied "this is not a dating site" and even posted quotes of the rules saying that this is not a dating site when the person was NOT wanting to date with anyone in this site! she was only wanting help to know what to do!

and when you report a bug: let's supose you have 3 rooms in your account and you're not being able to send an item from one room to another and in the thread, you MENTION that you tried to click on the item in the loft, you tried going to "my things" you tried to right-click the item and NOTHING worked and then someone comes and replies "try going to 'my things' to send the item to the other room" when the person who is reporting the bug ALREADY said that it DID NOT WORK!

when i see people relpying without reading, mainly when the reply goes off-topic(and mainly when it's someone who is not a mod but is always mini-moding) it makes me want to reply something like "don't you know how to read? this person is NOT wanting to date with the players!/this person already said that it did not work!/why should the person waste her time posting a screenshot when words are enough and a screenshot would not explain the bug at all?/did you even read what she worte?" but i never reply any of this. i try to reply on-topic to what the thread poster wrote or i don't reply at all.

and don't tell me people here no longer do this. i saw people doing this recently.
but what about you, don't you also get annoyed when you post a thread here and people reply something that has nothing to do with what you wrote?(i bet because they did not read)

░▒▓█Anonymous Random Procrastinatos, UNITE... some day.
---

#2 2012-01-17 17:48:54

sierradane
Members

Re: something annoying about OMD forum (READ before replying)

*sighs* 

I had all that typed out and it logged me out.

Anyway....

I have read your post from word 1 to the end and I'd have to say that I agree with you about 100%. 

Common courtesy goes a long way in any aspect of life and at least with me, if someone asks a question and I know the answer, I will type it out for them.  As opposed to telling them to check the FAQ.

I also find it annoying that so many are spending their time acting 'modish' or maybe they are a mod-wannabe? 

It just seems that it doesn't matter what type of forum a person visits, this same issue will happen.  There will always be those who will conduct themselves as someone in charge when they are not.

http://us.ohmydollz.com/img/avatar/878.png

http://i.imgur.com/ONu5iYQ.jpg
"Well, Jane, it just goes to show you, it's always something — if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne Roseannadanna

#3 2012-01-17 18:21:59

hayley77
Chat moderator

i have also read all your post and i totally agree too,

and also what makes me so annoyed is when you see those who act as mods , breaking the rules and they know they do while telling people not to do it.
however i dont mind them acting as mods as long as they help.

and i totally agree with the part where i will comment only as long as i have something to say related to the topic or i just wont post anything.

#4 2012-01-17 22:47:43

rarity
the undying
Website

Agreed with everything above.
If you can't be bothered reading the first post and the comments below, why be bothered leaving a comment in the first place.

This forum isn't as big as others I'm on, so I guess we should stop being so uptight about another person breaking the rules, 'tis not our job.

Although, now I find a little shame in telling someone off like a moderator, but I swear I've only done it once! :(

http://i66.tinypic.com/1zegnro.jpg
          * The wind is howling...

TUMBLR: reynir|            INSTA fierce.scarlet

#5 2012-01-17 23:05:27

hayley77
Chat moderator

but if you saw someone breaking the rules... you can tell them ?? that doesnt mean your acting as a mod , i dont know but when i find someone i say if no mod have replied yet does that mean i am acting as a mod?? i dont even mean but thats just helping :/ ??

#6 2012-01-18 00:24:58

cookiebear
Members

hayley77 wrote:

but if you saw someone breaking the rules... you can tell them ?? that doesnt mean your acting as a mod , i dont know but when i find someone i say if no mod have replied yet does that mean i am acting as a mod?? i dont even mean but thats just helping :/ ??

I think I'm partially Guilty as that, I mostly practice because I applied to be a mod ouf It's not necessarily acting as a mod when you're just correcting someone on their mistake, It's a problem if they are repeat offenders. Then it's just annoying, like a recent problem we had about discussing religion. I think it's important to always read the previous post before replying.

#7 2012-01-18 02:19:01

saruki
Members

I also agree with above.

Coming from another board, what we do there is just plain report the thread to the mod and the mod can straighten it out themselves. Or you can PM the person, instead of just piling on top of them with posts like "Read the FAQ before you post" yada yada yada.

It's like if a kid in your math class answers a question wrong and there's five people telling him that he did it incorrectly. That's a little bit embarrassing if you ask me.

If it's really important, just PM the OP or report the thread to a mod instead of embarrassing them in public and telling them what, where, how, they did something wrong, etc.

#8 2012-01-18 05:20:27

rarity
the undying
Website

hayley77 wrote:

That's a very thin line between mini-modding and reminding someone of the rules. I guess it is difficult to define the difference between the two... So everyone, what would be the difference?

http://i66.tinypic.com/1zegnro.jpg
          * The wind is howling...

TUMBLR: reynir|            INSTA fierce.scarlet

#9 2012-01-18 15:25:54

snortmort
Members

Well, usually instead of saying something on the post myself, I'll just hit 'report' and type in why I'm reporting it: "This poster is using way too many smilies" or "This post has absolutely nothing to do with the topic" or whatever else applies to that post. That way, the mods get it (I think - I'm not 100% sure where those reports go to?) and I'm not posting as a "mini-mod".

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a399/snortmort/storybooklove.jpg

#10 2012-01-19 00:29:29

paperlife
Chat moderator

If someone took the time to type out what they have to say, we could at least take the time to read it. That's what I do. Plus it keeps you up to date on the topic and doesn't make you look dumb. I'm always afraid to speak up when I know someone is breaking a rule, just because of them taking it wrong and starting an argument.

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." ~ Leonardo Da Vinci

#11 2012-01-19 17:40:05

sierradane
Members

rarity wrote:

hayley77 wrote:

That's a very thin line between mini-modding and reminding someone of the rules. I guess it is difficult to define the difference between the two... So everyone, what would be the difference?

I still would consider that as "mini-modding."  Do as Snortmort does if someone is doing wrong, hit the report button.  The math class example by Saruki is a good way to look at it. 

Personally, unless a poster is flaming someone, I am not going to point out their 'lack of understanding' or just direct them to the FAQ's.  IF I know the answer, I am going to make the effort to type it out for them.  IF I don't know the answer AND they have done something wrong, it's not MY place to point that out to them.

I've spent days in PM's trying to explain certain things to some of the newer dolls.  It doesn't bother me to have someone PM me asking me a question about this game.

And with written text vs. verbal speech, sometimes what we write can come across as being snotty, condescending or hateful.... even if we didn't intend it to be that way.  That, in itself, can be not only embarrassing but hurtful and at times devastating to the OP.

Just ran across this on the French site which contains supposed "it's against the rules" (using too many emotes) but this would fall under, "Do as I say, not as I do."
http://www.ohmydollz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=70047

Last edited by sierradane (2012-01-19 18:15:33)

http://us.ohmydollz.com/img/avatar/878.png

http://i.imgur.com/ONu5iYQ.jpg
"Well, Jane, it just goes to show you, it's always something — if it ain't one thing, it's another." Roseanne Roseannadanna

Board footer