You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2014-03-13 00:18:50

campanella
Members

I need some opinions please!

I'm doing an assignment for my US History class. I need at least 10 opinions (the more the merrier) on why YOU think we get ouselves as countries involved in wars. It doesn't have to be a super long explanation, a simple one works just fine. Thank you for helping!

https://40.media.tumblr.com/d2b6d67b60782d1b9b4ae8e73c19351a/tumblr_nz4skthchB1sfm9rso1_500.png

#2 2014-03-13 01:17:12

darkjewels
Members

Re: I need some opinions please!

in the U.S.A.'s case, when the war starts, it's profitable because they're selling tons of weapons, but as their ships start to become targets and their costumers begin to run out of money, war is no longer profitable so it's time to interfere and finish this.

░▒▓█Anonymous Random Procrastinatos, UNITE... some day.
---

#3 2014-03-13 01:52:24

angelfire
Members
Website

Yush. Something I can talk about with passion. We as in America, right? I'm going to be taking concrete details from why the US gets involved in wars.

*Note* "You" is referring to the government:
1. Racism
I don't care what anyone thinks. Most of the important people in the government are all white people. If for one second you don't think that's just a little bit fishy, well then. It wasn't until the election of 2008 that a little of that changed. It's starting to change but it's gonna take a little more effort. Where are the places where America tried to gain control of or influence? It wasn't any country in Europe. It wasn't Russia. It wasn't Canada. It wasn't Australia. It was Hawaii, Mexico, The rest of the US, and the Middle East. What do those places have in common?

2. The President
Honestly. This guy makes all the difference no matter who he is, beard or no beard. You know we've been at war since the start of the US? It wasn't until after world war II where we've had a moment's peace. And even then it wasn't all that long. This is the hippie era. Where people started talking about peace. That is one of the rare times where the US has not been somehow involved in a war. The only time in the history of it. Who chooses to have war? The Commander in chief. Oh who is that? The President. That's a good enough reason.

3. Narcissism.
"America is a country. And a state of mind." ~Someone I know
Yes it is. Oh. My. God. You know why we got involved in WWI when it didn't even concern us? Because damn Woodrow Wilson said Germany shouldn't mess with boats carrying US soldiers else there'll be consequences with no way to back it up. All of Europe knows we're the little baby of the world. Heck we just finished our 100 years and they're already way past their 1000th.
But we've been doing it for years! The empty threats that is. The Monroe Doctrine in 1823? It said that if Europe put their hands in the Americas, it would REQUIRE the US to get involved. Psh. The Allies and the Central powers have been in existence for a long time! What were we going to do? Pull a gun to their heads and say leave? You can't do anything US! You can't fix your internal damage and you think that's possible. (Nearing Civil War)
Yo US! Did you honestly think a newly established country could even think about defeating a millennium year old country? It's like an MMORPG game. You are a level 1 player. You can't in any state of mind be able to defeat a level 100 player. It's not possible no matter how many good resources you have! Why would you think that was a plausible idea?!
Vietnam war? IT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH US!! What was the reason?
"Oh, communism was spreading" What does that have to do with anything?
"Well see it's bad and we're trying to stop an inhuman system from spreading." Vietnam is in Asia!
"But if Vietnam falls then all the other countries will fall too." You're not in freakin Asia! Focus on your own problems! You just left a war. You have people to tend to. Not send them back to hell. You just hate Russia.
"But communism will spread to the US." Yeah? But we can act like MATURE adults and talk about it rather than act like children and fight on it.
"But it was a well fought war. Even though we lost, we still didn't let Communism come so win win." No! It's not a win win! It's a lose lose! You brought your soldiers back and society had cast them away! The soldiers went to Vietnam unwillingly. They got drafted! and guess what, the government didn't even come to help. The people who sent them in the first place, didn't help them. You know what. There  were barely any people out there welcoming the soldiers for when they came back home. You had the wounded and no one, NO ONE, helped them. There wasn't much medical help given to soldiers who had to watch people they know die. This caused the soldiers to go into depression and/or commit suicide. It's not that soldiers that come back home don't do that now...but rates were higher after that war. That is not a coincidence.
What do you say to that. You only think about what you want and not what everyone wants. That is not democracy.
--
Okay that's all I can think of for now. Lol that was longer than I wanted it. This is more of a rant than anything else so yeah. Sorry about that :P Really love History.

http://i.imgur.com/TYm0f7i.png
Twitter|Tumblr|Howrse|MCL|dA: angelfire2197          Wysp|YouTube|Elitedollz: angelfire
Art Portfolio: livininart.tumblr                                   Tumblr: askmyocsstuff

#4 2014-03-13 01:53:31

campanella
Members

Thanks a bunch, Dark! (^o^)/
Holy cow Angel! You've got some strong opinions there!!

Last edited by campanella (2014-03-13 01:54:50)

https://40.media.tumblr.com/d2b6d67b60782d1b9b4ae8e73c19351a/tumblr_nz4skthchB1sfm9rso1_500.png

#5 2014-03-13 02:10:02

30stmxfan
Members

Everything angel said would be what I would say. 100%
Speaking of the case of America,
They want to protect their "White, American dream, Christian country."

Anyways, countries probably join for the politics, alliances with other countries , and money. Plus if you helped a country out during a war, after they would probably more likely give you oil

discord: corgibutt#2664

#6 2014-03-13 02:12:45

angelfire
Members
Website

LOL! I'm so sorry >.< I'm actually learning some of this right now so my frustration with the US is still fresh :P

Last edited by angelfire (2014-03-14 01:09:26)

Twitter|Tumblr|Howrse|MCL|dA: angelfire2197          Wysp|YouTube|Elitedollz: angelfire
Art Portfolio: livininart.tumblr                                   Tumblr: askmyocsstuff

#7 2014-03-13 02:19:03

30stmxfan
Members

angelfire wrote:

LOL! I'm so sorry >.< I'm actually on this right now so my frustration with the US is still fresh :P

I started very big on history too. I've taken classes on gender roles in history and such. It's pretty interesting.
Don't even get me started on politics though lol. I'm very big on women's rights and the States, especially any southern states treat women and people of different culture so horrible. Actually many states are very racist, push their religion in the government (think marriage), and schooling (like their horrible health ed ahem)

discord: corgibutt#2664

#8 2014-03-13 02:20:18

campanella
Members

@30stmxfan Thank you!
@Angelfire It's fine, really. US History is all about getting mad about the US, in my opinion. Believe me, if you were in my classroom you'd win a TON of debates, no doubt!

#9 2014-03-13 02:25:43

angelfire
Members
Website

Thank you!
I love politcs too :D Can't wait for AP Government next year *_*

#10 2014-03-13 03:52:49

bloodyemos
Members
Website

1. Racism
I don't care what anyone thinks. Most of the important people in the government are all white people. If for one second you don't think that's just a little bit fishy, well then. It wasn't until the election of 2008 that a little of that changed. It's starting to change but it's gonna take a little more effort. Where are the places where America tried to gain control of or influence? It wasn't any country in Europe. It wasn't Russia. It wasn't Canada. It wasn't Australia. It was Hawaii, Mexico, The rest of the US, and the Middle East. What do those places have in common?

I will agree with this. We did attack and "try to protect" countries of color. We were good and bad with them, for example: Roosevelt's "Bad Neighbor" issue and FDR's "Good Neighbor" policy.

2. The President
Honestly. This guy makes all the difference no matter who he is, beard or no beard. You know we've been at war since the start of the US? It wasn't until after world war II where we've had a moment's peace. And even then it wasn't all that long. This is the hippie era. Where people started talking about peace. That is one of the rare times where the US has not been somehow involved in a war. The only time in the history of it. Who chooses to have war? The Commander in chief. Oh who is that? The President. That's a good enough reason.

I will argue this. We actually have had peace before this. After the American Revolution, we went a good 20 years without a war until Madison decided to get us involved with England and France's issues because it interfered with our trade. That got resolved within a year where we cut ties with England for a little while and only traded with France though France didn't hold up their end of that deal, mind you.

You know why we got involved in WWI when it didn't even concern us? Because damn Woodrow Wilson said Germany shouldn't mess with boats carrying US soldiers else there'll be consequences with no way to back it up.

They actually got into this war because nobody was able to travel the seas due the U-Boats. It hurt trade very badly and thus hurting the economy of our country. He tried to do what was best for our country as whole. I will add, though, the Lusitania was carrying firearms when the U-Boat shot it. For those who don't know, the Lusitania is a cruise ship that is twin sisters with the Titanic. They were built exactly alike. The U-Boat shot the spot with the gunpowder and weaponry which is why it took 5 minutes instead of 4 hours to sink. Also, this is the war where the world became more advanced with weapons so some good (but bad) came out of it.

Alright, I have opinions of my own honestly. There the above and plus some on the US and it's lovely policies.

I will agree that some wars were uncalled for. We need to stay out of world politics and stick to our isolationism. We should have listened to Washington when he said no political parties and no permanent allies. Well...we screwed up there because politics and allies is what screwed us over. It was a good thing when Wilson's 14 Points and League of Nations was denied to America. It kept us out of politics. The UN makes it worse now because we are ending up in more wars than needed to.

I will argue that we didn't join WWI or WWII until the end of the wars. WWI because of my reasoning above and WWII because Japan decided to BOMB US. If they didn't bomb us, it wouldn't have been any of our concern and we may have not been concerned with communism so much. This is where I'll make another argument against Angel. Yes, we shouldn't have gotten into Vietnam but why did we? Communism. What is Japan? A communist nation. What did Japan do to us? BOMB us. They had the bomb before anybody. This is why we got into Vietnam. A communist nation was strong enough to create a bomb and attack us so we want to make sure that that doesn't happen again.

The Civil War was for stupid reasons, honestly. Yes, there was slaves but like Europe, America would've grown out of it. It was a way of life. Do I agree with slavery? Hell no. Do I agree with a war over it that tore our country apart for quite a while? Nope. It was a horrible war and by far the dumbest we have had.

The war I hate and despise the most though, because Polk was a bully and should never have done this, was the Spanish-American war. It was over "disputed territory" that Mexico owned! Like, for real. Are you seriously that power hungry? Damn. Eat a sandwich or something. Don't start a retarded war.

And to make a point, we didn't win our independence on our own. We owe France a huge thank you for that. But think, if we didn't win that, could you stand living under a queen? I prefer our government to England's personally no matter how screwed up ours is.

Phew....wow...that's a lot. ouf

http://i.imgur.com/cArCc6e.png
Soldier to Be Following Enlisted, My Heart
Tumblr: The-Steampunk-Paradox|Snapchat: KatInsanity1102

#11 2014-03-13 21:24:26

picalilll
Members
Website

I think war is just a way for some countries to gain power and by wining their superioty - mainly in stupid wars. I understand WW2 - because the nazi's were just awful and I think Hitler killed more people than soldiers did.

War in some cases is necessary if it is needed, but all this business in Crimea. It isn't really necessary. People talk about it sparking a war - it could well do, but the globe is so connected now if we did it will cause some disadvantage in every pockets on the world.

War has always been around, if you think about it. It's like two men having a pub fight but on a global scale.

You can't feel me, no
Like I feel you
I can't steal you, no
Like you stole me

#12 2014-03-17 00:28:41

campanella
Members

Oh dear, I hope I didn't spark a huge feud on here. ;;
Aaaaanyway, thank you all for contributing your opinions. Y'all seriously helped me out here!

#13 2014-03-17 03:25:12

bloodyemos
Members
Website

You didn't and you're welcome :D Angel and I are just opinionated XD

http://i.imgur.com/cArCc6e.png
Soldier to Be Following Enlisted, My Heart
Tumblr: The-Steampunk-Paradox|Snapchat: KatInsanity1102

#14 2014-03-17 03:58:22

rarity
the undying
Website

I'm going to close this as soon as you've got what you needed as it's borderline against the rules.

http://i66.tinypic.com/1zegnro.jpg
          * The wind is howling...

TUMBLR: reynir|            INSTA fierce.scarlet

#15 2014-03-19 05:41:20

campanella
Members

*SHRIEKS*  I guess this is what happens after being away from the boards for so long, I forget how to act ;;. I'm done 5ever now.

#16 2014-03-19 14:52:52

angelfire
Members
Website

lolol It's okay campy!
Like Twin, Bloodsy, said, no feud or anything's come between anyone. We all have our opinions, the important thing is to be open to them.

PS:
Sorry rare >.<

#17 2014-03-19 20:26:25

rarity
the undying
Website

Nah man it's alright. Although I personally condone this kind of discussion, as a whole, we're not supposed to talk about politics or religion here.

As it there no personal attack towards anyone, there is no harm done.

- Also I'm going to lock this now as I think you've got everything you need.

http://i66.tinypic.com/1zegnro.jpg
          * The wind is howling...

TUMBLR: reynir|            INSTA fierce.scarlet

Board footer