You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2013-06-19 19:27:59

darkelfqueen
The Mod Squad

College 101

Now that summer has started, I am starting to see several people going through the worry stage that precedes College. If you’re a recent High School graduate starting college next semester, then I totally understand what you’re going through. You’re confused, excited, worried and delighted all at the same time. And it’s understandable.

College is considered to be the beginning of your adult life. It’s the gate to real life, in a way, so of course it’s scary.

Questions like “Will I make it?” or “Am I ready for it?” will pop into your mind a lot and believe me, the best way to get over them is to take action. Taking action and starting a plan for how to be ready for college is always comforting.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/p480x480/580542_663405733676287_73274364_n.jpg

I'm a college a student and a mentor for freshmen girls, so I thought that it would be nice to share some tips here about college and college life. If you or anyone you know has something to share, feel free to post here.

I live in the US, so the tips I am going to give are related to the US. I also know a friend who is Egyptian and can help with information about colleges there. If you have other experiences, share it here!

Aaaanways, back on topic...College…

How different is it compared to High School/ School in general?

Well, in high school, your teachers lead you through the educational process. They tell you to study this chapter this week and not the next one. They have quizzes to make sure that you HAVE to study. If you missed an assignment or did bad on a project, it’s very likely that the teacher will allow you to make it up somehow.

In college, you have more freedom. You choose which courses to take each semester and in each course, you are told from the first day when your midterms, final, projects, assignments are going to be. It is up to you, however, to plan your schedule. Are you going to study all the chapters this week or the next one?

With more freedom comes more responsibility, so time management is somewhat critical.

How do I choose my courses?

In the US, you get to choose when and with whom you want to take a certain class. Sometimes you have little choice because certain courses are prerequisite to other courses, while at other times, the possibilities are endless.

When I started college, my advisor told me that in the US, one credit hour will need 3 hours of personal studying.

While it’s a good general rule of thumb, it didn’t apply for my major.

Here’re some tips for you:

• Don’t take too many courses of the same style. For example, don’t take three or four courses that rely heavily on projects at the same time. Instead, try to take one or two that way with a History course that depends on reading and writing as well as a Spanish course which relies on watching and hearing.

• Make sure to ask about other people’s experiences in the courses you are considering. Is the professor a tough grader? Is the course actually harder than you thought? Personally, I ended up taking two semesters when I wasn’t even a full time student…Mainly because I knew that two  of my courses are very heavy. So, I combined them with one or two easy courses and just used that for a semester. Of course that might not always be the case for some financial aid cases.

How can I survive?

1. If you have time before classes, read and prepare for the course on your own. An hour or two every day during the break will save your grades and save you from a terrible headache during the semester.

2. Time Management! Again…Critical. The first thing I buy every year is the daily planner. From day one, I put stickers on important dates like exams, projects, reports and so on. I also add in dates for activities I am enrolled in. Every evening, look at the day after’s schedule and make sure you’re prepared for everything. And every weekend, plan your studying schedule for the week ahead.

3. Pull off the plug on internet when you’re studying ( as much as you can)…Stay focused!!!

4. Don’t forget yourself. Have a ten minutes break every fifty minutes of studying. And reward yourself every night with an episode of your favorite show, or a chapter of your favorite book!

5. Something very very very important!!! Don’t buy books from the bookstore unless you absolutely need to. Check Amazon and Ebay since they are usually at least 50 dollars less. You could also find used books which will save you more money. Consider renting, it’s a very good option, too…Especially that many of those books, you’ll never even open up again!

Well…That’s what I thought about for now. If you have any questions, post them here and I am sure that someone here on OMD will give you some advice. Till later, take care!!

Last edited by darkelfqueen (2013-06-19 19:34:37)

#2 2013-07-01 16:49:09

angelfire
Members
Website

Re: College 101

Wow this shall go in my bookmarks. Thanks darky!

http://i.imgur.com/TYm0f7i.png
Twitter|Tumblr|Howrse|MCL|dA: angelfire2197          Wysp|YouTube|Elitedollz: angelfire
Art Portfolio: livininart.tumblr                                   Tumblr: askmyocsstuff

#3 2013-07-07 13:14:13

janghyunae
Members
Website

I don't know if it's the same but here, most teachers don't even know their students.
I am yet to enroll, I'll apply on the 17th this month only, but my previous teacher told me that when she was in college she was once struggling with her studies and she went to search for her professor (a famous architech here yey) and he took almost 2 hours explaining everything very well and she finally undrstood it all. In the end he came closer and said "But don't tell your teacher I helped you. I don't know who it is but asking help to another teacher that isn't yours is not very polite."
The next day, he still didnt realize she was on his class.

Also, we have different universities here. We have one more direccioned to studying and reading the book and understanding it and we have others that are more practical and you actually work on what the book explains.
Personally, I've chosen the latter one. First, the others were in places I already know and I know the environment and that I wouldnt be focused and then one is private and I cannot afford it and the other isn't but it is very focused only on the book. After thinking about the course I'm taking and the job exits I have and my own personality, I decided that a practical one would be much better. We'll be allowed to try the chemicals on different materials to see how they react and how badly instead of just reading and we'll be allowed to work silver and gold instead of just reading about it.

I think this is also a good tip, according to what if offered in each country: Study your course and see if it's better to enroll a more practical or more technical college.
Since I chose the practical, I feel like I'll have more time and I'll be mentally more capable of study-reading by myself on my free time and balance better the work time and the study time.

Also, here, on 9th grade we have some meetings with the school's mentor and they do us some tests that help us deciding what areas would we do best at since here, after 9th grade we can chose a professional school that is  composed with 5 months studying and 5 months as an intern somewhere related to what we studied; or normal school that has up to 6 different areas for us to choose:
- Science and Technology that is the most open one and with more science,  chemistry and maths;
- Visual Arts in which it is basically all drawing and making projects and you can or not have math;
- Economics that is basically math;
- Tongues and Humanity mostly consisted of different languages deeply studied and history about almost everything;
- Professional, unlike the professional school, this would be a professional course and you would only work as if getting ready to enter business the following week but you dont have the possibility of working after 5 months.

And with this we can get a much more concentrated school life without being always like "I dont even need this subject for college nor life in general, why am I studying it?"

Another thing I would say is check if it is better to life at the campus or go to university everyday. Personally, I could stay at home and go everyday but it would be a bit expensive and, on some days it could be too tiresome and steal a lot of time so I decided to stay at a dorm there. If you do choose to stay at a dorm as well, visit the place even before you apply and try it to be during a time no one else goes there so that the staff can help you more. I havent gone (yet) but my mother did and she was lucky that there was a lady free to make a tour around the college and show her pretty much everything and she discovered that the desks are pretty much the size of a chair although tall enough to be a desk and that it is better to have an individual room that sharing it. At least on the one I am going to! Depends so it is better for you to visit it before hand.

One last thing, here we're mostly prepared since 10th grade and we already know what we want for college so that we can work even more to get the grade we need on the exam the college asks for. The college I want asks for at least a 9.6 on Geometry exam+schoolgrade and I had 14.5 on exam and 16 on school grade so I am in (also because it is not a very searched course heheheh) so perhaps keep that in mind.

Ah and then there's the pranks to new kids. On the city I am right now, the college pranks are mostly tradicional, about the city itself and it is rare to have a prank regarding alcohol and getting real drunk. Others can be different.

That aside, I think Elf has said the most important part.

https://66.media.tumblr.com/a5f13aaef200ed7ad4c61b87beb00d85/tumblr_oe4nqs8n0D1r4l9i8o1_1280.jpg

#4 2013-07-07 16:10:30

spiderwick9
Members

Wow, thank you guys for this. I still have years until I need to worry about college, but I'm really glad I could learn this whole I could.

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Kn2ynQkiWbg/Vwrll2jSJ8I/AAAAAAAACOM/jbC-otDqTLAPoCRfnzFIuYUHtk3Ovrkig/s1600/Crappy_Keeley_Signature.jpg

Board footer